Regardless of which industry or business you’re first learning about, chances are you will hear a few strange terms that you don’t understand. This is certainly true in directional drilling in Roseville, CA. Directional drilling contractors have their own unique lingo that they use to describe various tools, processes and procedures in relation to their jobs. Understanding a few of these terms can help you feel more confident when you’re talking to your contractor about your directional drilling project:
- Fly cutter: A reamer is a type of tool that’s used to widen or finish drilled holes, and a fly cutter is a specialized type of reamer. This reamer has spokes and open blades that are designed to cut through tough, compacted soil for the purposes of drilling or finishing drilled holes.
- Running sand: Running sand is an issue that can come up over the course of excavation. This issue can be caused by a number of different things, including excavations in sand that extends beneath the water table, liquefication caused by intense vibrations like earthquakes and the presence of springs of water or leaky pipes that disrupt the sand in an area that’s being drilled. If this issue isn’t addressed quickly and proactively, it can be dangerous, so it’s important to work with a contractor who has the experience necessary to handle this problem.
- Frac out: “Frac out” is a drilling term that’s used to describe a situation where fluid comes up the borehole and causes pressure to accumulate. Eventually, if the pressure grows too much, the fluid may break through and come up to the surface.
- Filter cake: A filter cake is formed as drilling fluid accumulates on the wall of boreholes. Filter cakes can act as a seal that prevents liquid transfer between the borehole and the soil around it. In some cases, filter cakes can reduce the amount of drilling mud that’s needed to pack around the borehole and seal it.
- Magic box: Boring systems are equipped with transmitters that put out electromagnetic signals. These signals are picked up by an electronic receiver instrument, commonly referred to as a magic box. This can help contractors determine the position of a boring system to ensure accurate and effective directional drilling in Roseville, CA.
- Doughnut: Even though you’re probably familiar with doughnuts as pastries, in this industry “doughnuts” is a term that’s used to describe a rubber component that helps clear away mud from the drill pipe during directional drilling.
Hire directional drilling contractors in Roseville, CA
At Es7 Comm-2 U, Inc., we know that directional drilling in Roseville, CA can be confusing, and that’s why we are here to make the process as simple and straightforward for you as possible. As a fully licensed general contractor, we have the experience, credentials and training necessary to provide you with a wide variety of services that are designed to meet your specific needs. You can find out more about everything that we have to offer by giving us a call today.
This post was written by Writer